Vote by Mail
About Voting By Mail
- Mail ballots for 2023 elections can be requested now. Applications are accepted until 5pm 11 days before an election.
- Ballots are mailed starting 45 days before an election.
- All voters are eligible to vote by mail.
- Ballots can be requested for a specific election or voters can apply to permanently receive mail ballots for all elections in which they are eligible. Election Dates
- If requesting a ballot for a primary election, you must indicate a political party preference. Virginia is an open primary state meaning any voter can vote in either primary. Since voters cannot register by party, they must indicate the primary they would like to vote in for a ballot to be sent.
Deadlines for June 20, 2023 Democratic Primary Election:
- Last day to apply for a mail ballot: 5pm, June 9, 2023
- Mail Ballots returned by mail must be postmarked on or before June 20, 2023 and received by 12pm June 23, 2023.
5 Ways to Apply for a Mail Ballot
Download Application(PDF, 291KB)
Once the application has been completed you can mail or drop application off to:
2100 Clarendon Blvd, Ste 320
Arlington, VA 22201
Call 703-228-3456 to request an application be mailed to you.
5) In Person
Pick up an application at the Office of Voter Registration and Elections:
2100 Clarendon Blvd, Ste. 320 Arlington, VA 22201
Operating Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
3 Ways to Return your Mail Ballot
Ballots must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received by 12pm (noon) the Friday after the Election.
Return Mail Ballot by Mail
Postage is paid for return ballots and can be dropped off at any USPS Post Office or USPS Mail Box.
Return Mail Ballot in Person
Mail Ballots can be dropped off at the Office of Voter Registration and Elections located at the address below:
Bozman Government Center
2100 Clarendon Blvd, 3rd Floor
Operating Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
2 Ways to Track your Ballot
Two tools are available to track your ballot on its way to you and confirm it has been returned to our office.
Track your ballot on its way to you
- Confirm ballot mailed
- See expected delivery date
- Confirm delivery
- Sign up for text or email alerts when ballot is mailed to you.
Enter your name and the address where the ballot is being mailed.
Track Your Ballot
Confirm your voted ballot has been received
- Enter the required information and click “Submit”
- Scroll down to the Absentee section.
- Check the Ballot Received column for the current election.
Confirm Ballot Received