June 20, 2023 Primary Election
ABSENT UNIFORMED-SERVICE AND OVERSEAS CITIZENS ELIGIBLE TO USE THE FEDERAL WRITE-IN ABSENTEE BALLOT (FWAB)
This is an official notice of a Primary Election to be conducted in the Commonwealth of Virginia on June 20, 2023. If you are an absent military or overseas citizen eligible to vote in state and local elections, you may register to vote and submit an absentee ballot application electronically for a specific election or any elections up through the next year using the Department of Elections voter registration portal. Please note that a driver’s license or identification card issued by the Virginia DMV is required to complete the process paperlessly. If you do not have a DMV-issued ID, you may also apply by using the federal postcard application (FPCA), available at www.fvap.gov. You can submit your FPCA by scanned email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to (804) 371-0194. Detailed instructions are provided in the Virginia Voting Assistance Guide. FPCA’s are valid for all elections in the calendar year in which they are submitted and must be renewed annually.
If you do not receive your state ballot in time, you may vote using a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB), available at www.fvap.gov. You can identify all of the state, local offices and, if applicable, ballot measures that, as of this date, are expected to be on the ballot by visiting the Candidate Lists and visit Elections Citizen Portal to view your voter registration status.
Currently Living Abroad or in the Military?
- If you are temporarily abroad and maintain an address in Arlington County you are eligible to receive a full ballot by mail or email for all elections. Apply online or download and complete the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). This application must be received by our office or postmarked no later than 22 days before election date if you need to register and no less than 11 days before Election Day if you are already registered.
- If you are an active-duty member of the uniformed services with a domicile address in Arlington, you are eligible to receive a full ballot by mail or email for all elections. Apply online or download and complete the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). This application must be received by our office or postmarked no later than 22 days before election date if you need to register and no less than 11 days before Election Day if you have already registered. Military personnel can also be eligible for “late registration” up to and including Election Day.
- If you are overseas by virtue of employment but no longer maintain an address in Arlington, you and any dependents residing with you may be eligible to receive a full ballot in all elections, provided you and dependents registered to vote in Arlington prior to your departure. Apply online or download and complete the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). Your application must be received by our office or postmarked no later than 22 days before the election if you need to register and no less than 11 days before Election Day if you have already registered. Include the name and address of your employer on your application.
- If you are residing abroad for other reasons and do not maintain an Arlington address, as a U.S. citizen you are still eligible for a Federal ballot — all U.S. citizens are entitled to vote in federal elections (the offices of President, Vice-President, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives). Apply online or download and complete the Federal Post Card Application. The application must be received or postmarked 22 days prior to the election if you need to register and no less than 11 days before Election Day if you have already registered.
Your FPCA is valid for all elections that occur from the time the application is submitted through December 31 of the following year. You must reapply for military/overseas absentee ballots after that time, or whenever your overseas address changes. (For example, an FPCA submitted on February 2, 2023 will cover all elections until December 31, 2024.)
Additional information on overseas voting:
Email Absentee Ballot Program
Active duty military and overseas citizen absentee voters (and dependents residing with them) may request absentee ballots to be transmitted via email:
- Apply online or download and complete the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). (Note: You also can obtain the application from your unit or consulate’s voting assistance officer.) Be sure to note on your application that you’re requesting a ballot by email, and include your email address and your overseas mailing address.
- For non-online applications, you must print and sign the application and return it to the Office of Elections either by:
- Faxing it to 703-228-3659
- Emailing a scanned version of the application to the Absentee Department
Note: We must receive your FPCA 11 days before the election if you’re already registered to vote in Virginia. If you’re not registered to vote, we must receive your FCPA — which also serves as your registration application — 22 days before the election.
- Ballots will be emailed 45 days before an election from absentee (at) arlingtonva.us. Check your email for your ballot and accompanying instructions.
- Follow the instructions provided, print and vote your ballot and return it to us by either
U.S. mail or commercial courier (UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc.). We must receive your voted ballot by no later than 7 p.m. on Election Day.
For questions about military or overseas voting, call or email the Absentee Department.
Forms and Links
Absentee Ballot Application
Lost, Damaged or Spoiled Absentee Ballots
Absentee Status Update Form(PDF, 102KB)
Cancel Absentee Request(PDF, 103KB)